Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Putting Down Roots (My Attempts at Propagating Herbs)

We have some beautiful, rocky hills that are not conducive to grass but seem like the perfect spot for herb gardens.  This spring, my high hopes led me to order 2,000 herb seeds and buy about $50 worth of herb plants.

So far, the seeds were 0% success, and the plants are about 50% successful.  I'm a beginner and my results go to prove that.  Read more to see how I am trying to boost my success rate.

Seeds- I tried to germinate the seeds at home and had wonderful initial results with the herbs sprouting quickly.  As this was my first time to try this, I did not realize that the seedlings need much more direct sunlight time and a lot less water.  It took me a few weeks before I could admit the moldy soil with stringy seedlings was a failure (AKA "a learning experience for next time").

Plants- The herb plants are fairing decently given the poor, compacted soil around our house that is result of our house pad being built and given two, large puppies who like to wrestle right where I planted the herbs.

So, here we are, a few months into this grand experiment, with a few, thinly planted herbs - not exactly the lush herb gardens I envisioned or the thriving rosemary hedge lining the driveway.  And, I don't want to lay down any more money on my efforts this year.  What's a girl to do?  Give up? Nope. Time to propagate.

---Wait!---  I'm not here to change your political views.  I'm just trying to multiply my herbs using the surviving herbs I have.  "A vote for more herbs is a vote for a stronger ecosystem and a weaker grocery bill"  Maybe there are bumper stickers in my future...

Back to the topic at hand.  How to propagate.  Research on the internet showed propagation is as simple as a jar of water (preferably filtered) and a cutting of the herb you want to grow.  Suggestions include:

1.) Watering the plant 30 minutes before taking the cutting so the cutting will be fully hydrated.  This suggestion does not seem crucial to success based on my findings.  See my notes on the trampled rosemary.

2.) Cut the stem right below a set of leaves. Make the cutting about 6" in length.

3.) Remove all lower foliage from the cutting so the cutting can focus on sprouting those highly desired roots.

4.) Keep foliage out of the water.  It reduces the instance of disease.  Always a good idea, even if you are just arranging cut flowers that you want to last for a while.

5.) Make a second cut at the base of your cutting while it is under the water, at an angle.  I'm all for angle cutting, but I'm not sure the underwater cutting really did anything of major significance.

6.) Change the water as needed - whenever it begins to look cloudy/dirty.  Be sure to top off your water as it evaporates if needed.   Fresh water, a good idea.

7.) Scrape the base of your cutting with your fingernail if it is a woody herb like rosemary. This suggestion was a winner.

While I did not see any specific recommendation of placing the cutting in a sunny place, a spot with indirect sunlight (but not so sunny your cutting fries) is probably best.



Armed with these suggestions, I began my efforts with Chocolate Mint, Wrigley's Spearmint, and Lemon Balm.  Predictably, the Chocolate Mint took off.  Mint is a hardy herb that loves to put down roots.


Surprisingly, the Wrigley's Spearmint and Lemon Balm were a bust even after a fresh cut and fresh water.


How do you know it's time to give up on a cutting?  Look at the leaves.  If the leaves are starting to look dry, limp, or spotted, it may be time to try another cutting.

When I was transplanting my new Chocolate Mint into the ground, I found Rosemary that appeared recently broken by exuberant puppy play.  I took the Rosemary inside and placed it in a new jar of water after scraping the bottom of the stem with my fingernails.  We went on a trip for a few days and returned to a bunch of roots.  This surprised me, because I had read that it took two months for someone else, but they had tried it in winter and we are in the middle of summer. At the recommendation of my Master Gardener mother, I placed the rosemary in a pot with potting soil to strengthen the new roots before transferring it to the ground.

In our windowsills, you will now see all sorts of cuttings in various jars. I'm still dreaming of hills lush with herbs.  At minimum, our windowsills look cheery and smell good.

Propagation is an easy way to add to your garden without adding costs.  Have fun.  Experiment.  See what you can grow; you may be pleasantly surprised.

Hungry for more?  Check out this article that shows 25 Foods You Can Re-Grow Yourself from Kitchen Scraps. << I have not tried these myself, but it looks interesting.


What are your experiences/suggestions for propagating plants?
The propagated rosemary now thriving in its pot.
I have since began taking cuttings and propagating from it, saving about $3.50 for each new plant grown instead of purchased.

The transplanted Wrigley's Spearmint is flourishing in its new home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment