Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Feeling Cheesy (Cottage Cheese Pancake Recipe)

Pancakes - what's not to love?

Tasty? Check
Easy? Check
Customizable? Check
Good for batch cooking? Check
Kids love them? Check
Easy to hide healthy ingredients? Check
Portable for an "on the go" option? Check

Okay. Okay.  Clearly, I have a thing with pancakes.

A few years ago, I saw a recipe in my facebook newsfeed that I thought was worth a try - Cottage Cheese Pancakes.  Using only a 1/2 cup of flour in the recipe, it is low-carb friendly.  It is also a great high protein recipe if you have a bunch of eggs on hand.  With 12 laying hens, that fits us.


Cottage Cheese/Protein Pancakes)
Recipe Notes:   I always double the recipe for our large family.  I use my mini-chopper to blend my cottage cheese.  I have found that fat content in the cottage cheese does not affect the final product. I usually increase my cottage cheese to use a full two cup container. If you don't have quite enough cottage cheese, in my experience, you can sub in sour cream, although you may need to increase the flour content to adjust consistency.  I do NOT add the salt since the cottage cheese I purchase (Daisy brand) contains salt. Rice flour or a gluten free flour blend can be subbed in for regular flour.  I have NOT tried whole wheat flour for fear the pancakes would be "heavy." Any leftovers are usually eaten within 24 hours - we like these a lot. See my adjusted recipe below.

Ingredients Our Way:
12 Eggs, beaten
4 cups cottage cheese, smoothed in mini chopper or blender
1 cup flour, more if needed
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Our new 3.5 cup chopper
Cook like normal pancakes - greased griddle, hot enough that a drop of water will sizzle on it, drop pancakes to desired size (I keep ours small and use a 1/4 cup scoop to pour.), cook until golden brown on bottom, flip with non-stick spatula when bubbles begin to appear on top and pop (Wash spatula if raw batter gets on it during flips.), cook until golden brown on other side, serve.  Be careful to let pancakes cool appropriately so mouths aren't burned, especially eager, little mouths.

Farm fresh eggs
Serving Suggestions:  You CAN eat these plain or with the traditional syrup or honey or with flavored cream cheese - that's how my kids and husband like them - BUT MY favorite way is to layer the pancakes with plain cream cheese; fresh, sliced strawberries (or blueberrries); and a light sprinkling of powdered sugar.  You can also go with plain cream cheese and bacon if cholesterol is not a concern.  These pancakes DO NOT have quite the same texture as regular pancakes.  The texture is a bit more crepe-y in my opinion.  Our kiddos have not noticed the difference yet or just don' t seem to care.

Notes: I am not a professional chef nor do I play one on T.V.  I'm just a mom with a lot of eggs and a lot of hungry kids.  Also, if your midwife tells you to eat two eggs a day during your pregnancy, this is an easy way to increase your egg/protein consumption.

Is it just me or does this one look like Pac-Man?
Have you tried this recipe before?  How did you serve it?  Did you adjust the recipe with great results?  Tell us about it.  Be sure to see all the notes in the comments section at The Fountain Avenue Kitchen (which I am in no way affiliated).
We really enjoy this griddle we received for a house warming gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment