Thursday, May 22, 2014

I've Never Felt This Way Before (Making a Felt Board)

Somewhere in the back of my mind lies all of these cute ideas, ideas to dress up our home, amp up the fun, and to help our children learn.  Buried in that heap has been the idea of a felt board.  Felt boards have long been loved by teachers, librarians, and children alike for their hands on (and plain ol' fun) learning value.  What is a felt board?  It is a board that felt sticks to, specifically characters, letters, numbers, etc. cut out of felt.

A couple of weeks ago, the idea finally came to fruition in our house.  It began with two packages of pre-cut felt on deep discount in the after Easter sale aisle of the local Wal-Mart.  Other than the label showing Easter craft ideas, there was nothing inherently "Easter-y" about this plain felt.  I plopped my $5 down for the big stack and felt a spark light under the long-buried, felt board idea.

The next step was Google.  I found that felt sticks to flannel and that flannel is an ideal base for a felt board.  The fabric is inexpensive and easy to use - bonus!

Some people use cardboard for their felt board backs; others use wood.  I went with the suggestion I found for a canvas.  I had two, unpainted canvases in the attic that were the perfect size.

Next, I called my mother-in-law to see if she had any flannel on hand.  She is an avid quilter who really likes to back her quilts in flannel.  Turns out, she had the perfect shade of dappled blue on hand that resembled a sky, and she was already heading my way.

Once I had the flannel on hand, I wrapped it around my canvas edges and cut the fabric with out measuring.  Then I pulled the flannel tight around the canvas and secured it to the wooden frame on the back of the canvas using a staple gun.

Then the felt board was done!!

On to the fun part - Bringing out the scissors and the Sharpie markers I went to work cutting out shapes and coloring items for the board.  Be careful to let your Sharpie marker dry well and not to smear it before it's fully dry.

How excited was our middle child to see her very own unicorn flying across her new felt board!!

Now, I plan to use the remaining materials to make my son his own felt board, with a brown horse as requested.

No comments:

Post a Comment