Thursday, October 24, 2019

Bouquet of Life


As I drove to my meeting, the bouquet kept catching my eye. It took me a while to realize why.

My mom grew the flowers, and our oldest daughter picked the flowers.  I had the job of arranging the flowers.

It was meant to be a simple bouquet to thank the hostess of my meeting that night, composed of imperfect flowers, twine, a mason jar, and, very possibly, a bug or two. I finally realized it was so much more than the addition of imperfect pieces.  Three generations of hands touched that bouquet; it represented this moment in our lives - my life - so well.

I am blessed to live on the same property with my parents and to have coffee with them every morning, to talk about farm stuff, school, daily moments - to share life with them completely.

I am also blessed at this moment to still have all of my children at home. Our oldest girl is at a tender and capable age, but she is growing quickly, so quickly. She has my heart more than she knows.

That simple bouquet represents one of the sweetest stages of life for me - being sandwiched between two wonderful women - One who has paved the road before me and one who forges new paths behind us.

I don't often treasure these moments like I should, and I am thankful that the simple composition of flowers, a mason jar, and twine made me aware of this special time.  God works like that, using our simple and imperfect vessels to communicate his message and his love.

No comments:

Post a Comment