Thursday, December 4, 2014

Deer Me!: Super Easy Deer Chili

Deer Bacon Tacos, Deer Bacon Meatloaf, Deer Bacon Pasta Bake, and...

Super Easy Deer Chili

This was my thrown-together-at-the-last-minute stab at Deer Bacon Chili based on the ingredients on hand, and everyone thought it turned out pretty swell:


2 1bs Deer Bacon Burger - our mix is only 10% bacon
1 can mild Rotel tomatoes, 10 oz, undrained
1 can petite diced tomatoes, 14.5 oz, undrained
1 can Ranch Style beans (original), 15 oz
1 bag chopped, frozen onion, 10 oz
1/3 cup finely processed old fashioned oatmeal*
3 Tbsp chili powder
1.5 tsps minced garlic
1/2 tsp sea salt
Fresh chopped tomato (optional
Hot sauce (optional)

Thaw meat. Brown and crumble meat on stove top.  Place meat and all** other ingredients in slow cooker. Stir. Cover with lid. Turn on low for 8 hours or high for 5 hours.

*I used our Baby Bullet to process the oatmeal to a fine powder.

**I did wait to put my oatmeal in at the last 30 minutes, once I realized a thickening agent was needed. During our gluten-free days, we found that it is not uncommon to find oats in canned chili at the grocery store.

How should you eat your Super Easy Deer Chili?  Plain, on rice, over a baked potato, over French fries, on a bed of mixed greens, in a bell pepper cut like a taco shell, top it with crackers, cheese, sour cream, lettuce, tomato, onion - go crazy!  And, most importantly, keep it fun!

My dad's deer decoy, Scarface, is spending some time at our house at the moment.
The kids were clearly excited by his visit.

Important Note: I am not a chef nor have I played on T.V.  I am a mom of a growing family with lots and lots and lots of deer bacon burger in my deep freeze.  Feel free to share your favorite recipes for deer (aka venison) with me below in the comments.


No comments:

Post a Comment